Welcome to the No Fuss Ultimate MTB challenge for endurance athletes and people with a sense of adventure. Now a mainstay of the No Fuss calendar the Tour de Ben Nevis in 2018 stays true to its word of ‘bringing mountain biking back to the mountains.’ A 72km circumnavigation of Ben Nevis from Fort William, the Outdoor Capital of the UK. This is one of the country’s longest point-to-point events; an MTB endurance, enduro and mountain marathon event all rolled into one.
We must stress this is more of an event than a race. Those that are super fit and want to race hard will not be disappointed and the 4 special timed sections will spice it up a bit and really bring out the competitors from within however those who see this as a major personal challenge will be able to pace themselves and enjoy the adventure and wilderness of this remote area.
The course will not be littered with signage and support people, it will be left as untouched as possible to allow you to enjoy this environment in its natural state. With this comes some personal responsibility, which is a big part of the event ethos. We are taking the bubblewrapping away and letting you take on this event knowing that you will need motivation and tenacity to get to the finish line.
2018 will be the eigth year that we have run this event, those who rode in 2016 will remember the weather. In 2016 we were unable to safely manage the river crossing a Luibelt and the race format was changed to an out and back, we are delighted that in 2017 the route was managable in its entirity, although for many the river crossing was memorable.
For those of you thinking of entering the event for the first time you should read this blog we think it captures the enormity of the day!
ONLINE ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED!!
IF YOU HAVE NOT ENTERED AND WISH TO DO SO PLEASE CONTACT [email protected]
Friday 21st September 6-9pm at a venue to be confirmed.
NB There is no official registration on the morning of the event, however, if you are unable to make it on the Friday evening, please contact us to let us know and we will have your race number and timing chip ready on Saturday morning. We would like to have everyone ready and good to go by 9.30am for a prompt 10am start. We will be at the start on Fort William High Street from 8am.**
At the registration you will receive:
• Race briefing, safety information and the latest course changes / information. This will include the special stage information.
• Your personal race number plate and zip ties to attach your number to your bike. The number must be attached securely to the front of your bike for the entire event. Do not alter or cut the number plate in any way.
• Timing chip – timing chips MUST be returned after the race. Please don’t forget as that little piece of plastic is very expensive to replace -there will be a £20 charge if the timing chip is not returned
This event takes place in one of the most scenic areas of Scotland and Fort William will hopefully provide you with everything and more that you will need for your stay. For accom information you could try www.outdoorcapital.co.uk
On Saturday morning, in the first instance please leave your car at your hotel/accommodation if possible (A few more kilometres won’t hurt, at least not in the morning!) Or if you have to drive, please park at one of the various car parks in town - The car park at Lochaber High School is the biggest free parking area and is close to the finish area. Showers will be available at the school after the race.
Fort William is located on the A82 approximately 100 miles north of Glasgow.
From the South
As you enter Fort William from the South, the West End car park is left off the first roundabout.
From the North
Continue on the A82 and along the town bypass to the West End roundabout.
Medical Provision will be provided out on the course by Muddy Medics .
There will also be a few safety knights on shining motorbikes.
Click Here for course details
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Entry1) Velodees - Sarah Hughes
2) Rachel - Rachel Henderson
3) Zulu - Helen Cassidy
4) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Jean Mclennan
5) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Sara Cairns
6) RideOut - Anna riddell
7) GOREWear - Catriona Sutherland
8) Two Pork Pies and a Twirl - Ny Leonard
9) Valley Girls - Caroline Souter
10) Endurancelife - Natalie Taylor
11) Auchencrow Thistle - Jane Holmes
12) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - Sally Devlin
13) Valley Girls - Hayley Hunter
14) ABC - Jane Luckhurst
15) Rock and Road - Katherine Simpson
16) GEOCAT Racing Team - Catriona Maitland
17) Stirling Bike Club - Dieter Visser
18) Shaven badger - Dan Pidge
19) North East Misfits - David Blacklock
20) North East Misfits - Michael Sangster
21) North East Misfits - Stuart Fraser
22) Tim Green - Tim Green
23) Too pecht tae pedal - Andrew Duthie
24) Too pecht tae pedal - Iain Anderson
25) john dixon - john dixon
26) Team Talbert - Duncan Talbert
27) Team Talbert - Iain Park
28) The Pye Man - Duncan Pye
29) Mike's Bikes Aviemore - Murray Watson
30) Team I Want To Rock - Simon Sewell
31) Team I Want To Rock - Simon Sewell
32) Tojo - Tom Meulemans
33) Tojo - Joris Jacobs
34) Peaking like a Chinese Duck - Steven Wallace
35) The Indian Fire Trail - San Kapil
36) Robbies rockets - Pete Marshall
37) Mo - maurice mckeown
38) David Marshal - David Marshal
39) Radish - colin shorthouse
40) Gregor MacNaughton - Gregor MacNaughton
41) Paul Chappells - Paul Chappells
42) Icycles - lewis cowe
43) 3B's - Iain Morrison
44) 🍀🇮🇪Green Machine - Garry O Connor
45) Gnarly Varley And Friends - Callum Pearson
46) Gnarly Varley And Friends - Edward Rollason
47) Team Ginge - Simon Bruce
48) Team Cunny Funt - Kevin O Neill
49) Team Zulu - Dustin Leeb
50) Give me the Beer! - Jonathan Aston
51) Zulu - Matthew Myers
52) team face plant - David Sandercock
53) Zulu - Daniel Leeb
54) Richard Hearn - Richard Hearn
55) Ben Wyvis - Steve Brown
56) Zulu - derek evans
57) Zulu - Adam Mellor
58) S.B.A. - James McNeilly
59) Zulu - Stephen Cassidy
60) Miles for smiles - Andrew Westwell
61) Richard Wood - Richard Wood
62) WanabieRacer - David Brown
63) Paceline Cycles - Ben Howe
64) Thomas the Tank Engine Factory Pro Race Team - Dan Jones
65) Whitworth CC - Alan Lord
66) Whitworth CC - Chris Lord
67) Whitworth C.C - Richard Bingham
68) Rocan - Alan Nicholson
69) Chris Campbell - Chris Campbell
70) FullGasEnriqueCastillo - Enrique Castillo
71) Ace Components - John Calvert
72) Velo Club Moulin - Graeme Warren
73) N/A - Stephen Vacher
74) Takachaomaclitmin - Stuart Murray
75) Helga's Hitmen - Rob Oberholzer
76) HELGA'S HITMEN - Mike Croning
77) - - Dan Gibson
78) Spicy Bikers - Tom Jenkins
79) Granny Gear Fear - Alan Maclennan
80) Too Fat To Finish - Barry Hughes
81) Too Fat To Finish - Colin Marshall
82) Granny Gear Fear - Tim Hurst
83) Team SRRD - Russell Nelson
84) Team SRRD - Ryan Chapman
85) Team RSSD - Shaun McKenna
86) Team RSSD - David Baxter
87) NEEPHEID - Graeme Burnett
88) Colin Maclean - Colin Maclean
89) Bunga Bunga - Silvio Berlusconi
90) Hudatyabam - Tommy McIvor
91) Ginger_Winger - Ewan Paterson
92) Stewart - Steven Stewart
93) Oyne Bikerzz - Poul Ipsen
94) Morenutzthanboltz - Andrew Richard
95) Going Solo - innes cameron
96) New Dad Syndrome - Nick McArdle
97) Oyne Bikerzz - Paul Davies
98) Thomas the Tank Engine Factory Pro Race Team - Neale Johnston
99) Team ODZ - Martin AaWalker
100) Loch Broom Wagon Racing - Dan Holland
101) Taxi for Niall - Tim Colebrooke
102) Taxi for Niall - Alex Vaughan
103) Robbies Rockets - JAMES MCGREGOR
104) Team Rodda Racing - Mike Rodda
105) Brian Barton - Brian Barton
106) Clan Morrison - Keith Morrison
107) AyrshireMTB - Andrew Dodds
108) Chris DiRollo - Chris DiRollo
109) Niall’s Taxis - Niall Pairman
110) Go Hard or Go Home - Richard Forbes
111) N/a - Stewart Dingwall
112) Huff Puff - Xander Donald
113) Oyne Bikerzz - Dan Ozanne
114) 59 Degrees North - Graham Bichan
115) Grease Monkey Cycles - Matthew Watson
116) Ae Bike Shop - Neil Copeland
117) - - Josh Varty
118) WL Clarion/Herbie's Bikes - Roddy Weir
119) Spicy Bikers - Michael Aldridge
120) stevie - Steven Ruffell
121) Tanuki - Bob MacGregor
122) Ae Bike Shop. - Andrew Young
123) Greedy Wiggins - Mark Littlewood
124) iCycles - Mike Hancock
125) Yanman - Ryan Smeaton
126) Right place Wright time - Gregor Wright
127) lmmortal 3 pies - douglas campbell
128) lmmortal 3 pies - Peter Boyd
129) Immortal 3 pies - Graham campbell
130) Hoddom velo - Duncan Maycroft
131) Cumbrian Warriors - Chris Huntington
132) Cumbrian Warriors - Andrew McCredie
133) Maybe I Like The Misery - George Maitland
134) highland Fencer - Johnny Maitland
135) Richard Greenwood - Richard Greenwood
136) GoNADs - Max Nicholson
137) Race Team Andrew Allan Architecture - Craig Black
138) Same as Usual - Nathan Hewitt
139) Team Andrew Allan Architecture - Brian Thomson
140) GoNADs - Crayston Renner
141) Ravenswood Racing - Colin Dugud
142) Ravenswood Racing - Stuart Wilson
143) Fake knees - Martin Cook
144) GoNAD - Isaac FISHWICK
145) Mad Cyril - Gregor Stewart
146) Swansacre Vet - Peter Hookham
147) Mutts-nutts - Alistair Macphail
148) Jamie Maxwell - Jamie Maxwell
149) GoNADs - Will Revell
150) scottoiler / alpine bikes trek store race team - Craig Hudson
151) Uibhisteach - gerry wheeler
152) harneyorama - David Harney
153) BigBadBadura RaceTeam - Rob Badura
154) On me tod - Nick Stapleton
155) GoNADs - Duncan Boyter
156) David steel - David Steel
157) Jig Johnson - Jig Johnson
158) Richard Mclean - Richard Mclean
159) Steven Richardson - Steven Richardson
160) Team Caledonian - Jason Mitchell
161) N/A - Romesh Palamakumbura
162) There's No Rush!😂 - Alan McKean
163) Team H - Hendry McNicol
164) Very rough very not ready - Alasdair Hynd
165) Very rough very not ready - Steven Mitchell
166) ENDURANCE DOWNHILL - Mark Hyslop
167) Better Shed than Dead - David Thomson
168) Cycling Weakly - Peter Ferguson
169) Barcaldine bikers - Simon Robertson
170) Crushed Orange - Michael Lee
171) andy craig - andy craig
172) Saints Ciclista - St Andrews - Daniel Clarke
173) Nethy Phat boy - George Pritchard
174) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - Callum Morrison
175) SR Albannach - Tom Blankenstein
176) John Hall - John Hall
177) iPlod - Euain Drysdale
178) Gala CC - Torq/Exposure/Mt Zoom - Andrew Howett
179) Fire road 5 - Mark Murray
180) GoNADs - Josh Murphy
181) No Idea - Tom Pearson
182) Twa Bog Lowpers (Minus Wan) - Archie Johnstone
183) Biltong - Morne van Niekerk
184) TeeBee - Tom Barr
185) Chris Godlington. Nethy Phat Boys. - Chris Godlington
186) ABC - Mike Milne
187) Rock & Road - Tony Bancewicz
188) Rock and Road - Kenny Young
189) Spog - Laurence Phin
190) Lack Off RT - Neil Macpherson
191) Spog - Kenny Steele
192) Pedal Power RT - Gary Ballantyne
193) Fireroad 5 - Neil Macdonald
194) slow erc - alastair webb
195) Glencoe Tight Phuirts - Grant MacLean
196) 1868racing/Antur stiniog - phil Roberts
197) Go Hard or Go Home - Iain Malcolm
198) Go hard or go home - Ross Girvan
199) Skye bike shack - Norman Macleod
200) The high plains drifter - Marty Ross
201) Russell White - Russell White
202) AK - Alex Kidd
203) Carrick Cycles - Ross Muir
204) Murthly Cycle Club - Guy Batchelor
205) skye - Robert Macaskill
206) Basecamp Bikes/Merida Bicycles U.K. - Kyle Beattie
207) Santa Cruz/Team JMC/Singletrack - Jason Miles
208) RosscoP - Ross Penver
209) ¡¡¡BTR!!! MMBC - Colin McRae
210) David MacDonald - David MacDonald
211) Living the Dram! - Neil Wright
212) Moreorless - Dougie More
213) AH - Andrew Hutcheson
214) Are you Horseye type? - Daniel Muir
215) broken bad - John MacLeod
216) There's no rush till they say Go! - Nigel Pennington
217) Bosco - Ross Murray
218) Bump and Grind - George Foster
219) young4life - Jimmy Young
220) Team Caledonian - Bob Allan
221) Endura - Santa Cruz - Rab Wardell
222) the cooies - richard cowie
223) the cooies - gerard cowie
224) Marc Di Rollo - Marc Di Rollo
2 for the pice of three225) i-cycles - Rachael McDougal
226) Chop - Graham Carter
227) . - Chris Hetherington
228) Coatbridge Clarion - Des Grant
229) Coatbridge Clarion - Dougie Muirhead
230) Coatbridge Clarion - Calum Muirhead
231) Coatbridge clarion - Alan Macintyre
232) Rob Gifford - Rob Gifford
233) I-cycles - Steven Deas
234) Crush Jackson - Ross Jackson
235) Straight out of Contin - Alec Dobbie
236) ¡¡BTR!! - Sean Dugan
Read carefully: Non compliance with any of the Race Rules will result in
disqualification of the competitor from this event.
1. Approved cycle helmets must be worn at all times.
2. Road rules apply at all times, on all private or public roads during this event.
3. Riders must not ride more than two abreast on any Highway
4. Riders must ride in single file if impending vehicle traffic behind you.
5. Competitors must keep as far left as possible at all times, on all roads and tracks to
ensure sufficient and safe passing.
6. Competitors must not deviate from the obvious track or attempt to take shortcuts.
Drafting is permitted.
7. Any competitor withdrawing from the race must inform a Race Marshal at the first
possible opportunity after the decision to withdraw is made.
8. Competitors must know how to fix basic mechanical breakdowns (chain break and
repair flat tyres).
9. You are not permitted to alter or cut the event number plate in any way.
10. Event officials reserve the right to remove any competitor if they consider they are not
capable of safely completing the event.
11. Please do not leave any rubbish along the route. All food wrappers drink bottles, tubes
etc must be carried to the finish line and not discarded anywhere along the route
except at the Aid Stations.
12. Anyone seen discarding rubbish will be disqualified and will not receive a time or
position as applicable (take memories or photos but leave tyre marks only).
13. Participants must avoid stock if possible and all gates must be left as they are found.
14. No outside assistance is allowed by support crews to any competitor and no supporters
will be allowed to follow riders on the course.
15. Competitors must read the pre race course briefing notes supplied at registration.
16. Competitors must obey instructions from Marshals at all times. They are there for
everyone’s safety and enjoyment.
17. You are not allowed to swap bikes. You must finish on the bike you start on, unless you
have had a major breakdown and use a rescue bike from the tail end charlie vehicle.
18. To receive a position you must complete the entire course under you own steam.
19. Teams are not permitted to use any sort of towing device except for towing a team
member that has damaged their bike to the point that it cannot be self propelled.
20. For Team category all team members must cross the finish line together for the team
to qualify as having completed the challenge and for merit prizes if applicable.
21. The last team member across the line will be recorded as the team time.
22. Compulsory gear as per the list below must be carried or will result in disqualification.
23. Entries are not transferable. We need to know who is on the course and what medical
conditions you may have so we can deliver the appropriate response in the event of an
• 2 tubes or a puncture repair kit
• Tyre leavers
• Multi tool
• Chain breaker (learn how to use it please)
• Poly prop / Thermal layer top and bottoms
• Serious waterproof jacket
• First Aid kit (gauze squares, tape, an elastic crepe bandage, sunscreen, anti-chaff
cream, insect repellent).
• Whistle in case you go over a bank, break a leg and no one can see you.
• Survival blanket in case you are there for some time whistling.
• At least one water bottle and sufficient food to meet your individual energy needs
for 5-10 hours of riding.
NOTE: Please comply with the gear requirements. We take your personal safety seriously and
do not want to inconvenience you with gear and bike checks to ensure you have complied
with the race rules. Help us to help you.
Recommended Gear - For cold weather
•Poly prop / Thermal beanie
•Full finger gloves
To enjoy this event you need to be able to keep moving for about 5-10 hours. The fastest
time is expected to be around 4 Hours and up to 8 for those ones trying to get the most
value from their entry fee.
You don’t want to carry too much gear so consider carefully the clothing you need and your
The weather can change quickly from extremely hot to snowing in a matter of hours, so
study the weather forecasts and plan for the worst case scenario from that.
The water in the river crossings will also be drinkable
Food & Drink
Recommended for All Riders
Drink: There are numerous stream crossings that contain safe water.
Food: Please carry and consume enough to get you through the event.
Race start 10am.
For safety reasons we are unfortunately obliged to enforce a cut off times for this years event.
If you have not reached the top of the Mamore Descent by 1230 you will be short coursed along along the Landrover track to Mamore Lodge to continue with the event.
If you are not at the top of the Mamore Descent by 1330 you will told to return by the way you came.
If you haven’t reached the spean bridge end of the event by 1700 we will ask you to return with us in an event vehicle.
If you past these points before cut of time. We will wait for you to finish, so long as you are
making every effort to keep moving.
Route Markings / Hazards
There are numerous unmarked hazards on this course, as there should be with a wilderness
adventure of this nature. Potholes, rocks, stock, rutted tracks, steep descents, banks etc are
all part of what is required to be negotiated by the competitor.
Any hazards outside of those expected will be identified and marked accordingly to ensure
your safety. The Course Coordinator does not anticipate any such hazards requiring
The course will not be marked with directional arrows except at critical junctions. The tracks
do not lend themselves to taking the wrong path but where there is major deviation from the
track you are on, it will be marked accordingly.
Event Safety Information
When you are in this environment YOU are the person primarily responsible for your own
safety. We will try to limit the event infrastructure so that it will not be too noticeable during
this event so you can enjoy the course with minimal interference. Please do not drop litter.
You will be a long way from home so you need to ensure that you:
• Carry the compulsory gear as per the race rules
• Ensure you have a well maintained bike
• Have trained sufficiently to ride the distance and stay focused on the hazards and your
own needs for food and water.
• Ensure you complete, on the entry form, any specific medical condition you have that
may affect your well being and or treatment.
• If you come across an accident, you must stop and give all reasonable care that you
can, while sending someone forward (not back) to the nearest Marshal for help. The
• Marshal will call in the situation to the Event Safety Manager so that we can get expert
help on the scene as soon as possible.
• We will have first aid trained Marshals situated throughout the course, in the tail-end-
Charlie vehicle and at the finish line.
Cancellation / Refunds
Cancellation and course alteration
In case of event cancellation visit our web site. www.nofussevents.co.uk
The alternate event day is the Sunday following the official race day.
An alternate course may be put in place by the Course Director in case of extreme weather
and this will involve a to and from course. The entry fee is non refundable, in ceratin circumsatnces we will be happy to transfer the