Entries for Macavalanche 2020 are now closed!
If you would like to be on the stand by list please email [email protected]
In 2018 and 19 the Goat Stew Orchestra entertained riders as they lined up for the mass start, we hear you loved it so much we have asked them back for 2020!
After prizegiving, you can share stories of the day, ponder the season ahead, have a few beers and listen to some great music. Does a BIG MOUNTAIN Enduro day get any better?
Glencoe Mountain Resort is situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty on Rannoch Moor and offers stunning views of the iconic Buachaille Etive Mor. In summer the centre offers fantastic mountain biking trails and home cooked food in the log cabin cafe. In winter it is home to one of the two ski stations in the Outdoor Capital of the UK
Macavalanche is one hell of a race, big mountain stages, topped of with mass start action where fortune favors the brave.
Enduro Mag opened its race report from 2017 with following paragraph:
"If there is ever a race to put on the bucket list, it's the No Fuss Macavalanche. A white-knuckle thrill ride down the open flanks of Glencoe mountain. A fusion of an enduro and DH race with a splash of mass start chaos and Scottish flair added in for good measure, it has become one of our favourite races on the calendar."
The Uplift enduro format has been around in Europe for many years, No Fuss Events introduced this event way back in 2011, 2011 was the only year to date that we used Helicopter uplift to get riders to the top of the mountain. Since then the race has been polished and refined (as much as you can polish and refine what is possibly one of Scotland's harshest environments). In 2018 the race was opened for 300 entries and as in other years it sold out quickly.
The three stage format in 2018 including the mass start stage produced a fastest time of a a fraction over 21mins of racing for the winner. The uplift facilities provided by Glencoe Mountain Resort to access some of the rawest racing and riding experiences in the UK, with snow, mass start and open mountain this is one hell of a day out.
Enduro Mag in 2016 said, As riders arrived one by one it was clear that all were stoked, more like the finish of the mega or an epic alpine stage, we had never seen such excitement, fist bumps and high fives were everywhere! In a year where enduro has raised its game, the No Fuss team have brought us something uniquely Scottish, and long may it continue.
The race format is quite simple: seeding on of blind stage/s at Glencoe Mountain to determin your start positions for the final stage which runs from high on the mountain side back down to the resort base.
YOU DO NOT NEED A LICENCE TO ENTER THIS RACE.
Registration will be open from 7.30am. Here you will pick up your number boards, be given details of the trails, timing chips and other relevant details. Once you have collected your number board you can retire to the cafe for the legendary Glencoe mountain cafe where you will find the hearty Glencoe Breakfast often viewed as the days first major challenge.
There will be a race briefing at 8.15am. Attendance is compulsory. After this everyone will head up to the start of Stage 1, which will open at 9am. With first uplift at 8.30am. Full details of stages opening and closing will be included in participant notes.
How to get there
Glencoe is situated on the A82, 26 miles south of Fort William, 74 miles north of Glasgow and about 100 miles north-west of Edinburgh.
For more detailed information on how to reach Glencoe Mountain Resort by car, please visit the following site: Glencoe Mountain Resort
Where to stay
Nearest to the race: Glencoe Accomodation
Nearest to the nightlife ;-) Visit Fort William
Also check out the Outdoor Capital of the UK
- Uplift start running from 0830 am
- Race start - stage 1 - 10.00 am
- Last stage - mass start - 3.00 pm
(all approximate times)
Prizegiving approximately 5.00pm
Facilities on Site
Hobbit house accommodation on site
Kings House Hotel nearby
Macavalanche is blind racing therefore no course maps will be made available. Stages will be set to maximise the mountain and the conditions on the weekend of the event.
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Junior Men 14 - 181) Thursday Night Bikers - Shaun Holden
2) Team R - Dylan Wadee
3) Mudmunchers - Jake O Donnell
4) Peak District boys - Arran Quigley
5) Peak District boys - ewan Quigley
6) Peak district boys - Nathan Martin
Junior Woman 14 - 217) Woodside Bikeworks Enduro Team - Hannah Dunn
Senior Woman 22 - 358) High Peak Cycles RT - Sam Hewitt
9) Howgill Chaingang - Katie May
10) Johnston - Amy Johnston
11) Rubber Side Up - Chloe MacLean
12) LMC Racing - Lauren Carle
13) Pony Club Factory Racing - Emily Murphy
14) Royal Navy Royal Marines Cycling Association - Tini Davies
Senior Male 19 - 2915) Meedies - Adam Stirling
16) Ruaridh Black - Ruaridh Black
17) Galloway Hillbillies - Andrew Campbell
18) Piss Stop - John Lumsdon
19) Spokes N Hoes - Benjamin Griffiths
20) Spokes N Hoes - James Harman
21) Cunny funts - James Robertson
22) Team R - Leon Wadee
23) Bennachie Bams - Aidan Wood
24) Wolf Pack - Simon Furphy
25) Wolf Pack - Jack Cripps
26) Wolf Pack - Sam Petherbridge
27) Windsor Road Racing - Thomas Riccio
28) None - Dean Walton
29) Macdonald J - Jason Macdonald
30) Ride Ruthless - Jordan Parkinson
31) Big mons mtb - Jonny (the prick) Blackshaw
32) Ae forest senders - Shane Wilson
33) Cave MTB - Tom Waudby
34) Cave MTB - Will Waudby
35) Cave MTB - Edward Waudby
36) Cave mtb - Cameron McCann
37) Cave MTB - Ben Swanborough
38) WHW - Rory Bell
39) Team Phoenix - Isaac Bennison
40) Doghouse Downhill - Scott Gillespie
41) Grant - Hugh McLean
42) Rubber Side Up - Michael Munro
43) BIYRacing - Lewis Kelly
44) RAFCA - Ben Brown
45) Irb - Jamie Crosse
46) Basecamp Bikes/Merida Bicycles U.K. - Kyle Beattie
47) Team Phoenix - Sebastian Bennison
48) .. - Steven Craig
Master Female 35 +49) 🤷♀️ - Fiona Clacherty
50) The Bikey Pikeys - Gail Osprey
51) Momo - Mo MacK
52) Pony Club Factory Racing/Bark and Ride - Debbie Spencer
53) mudroost - Philippa farrar
54) Cowal mountain bike club - John Maclean
Master Male 29 - 3955) SQUAD - Matthew Cherie
56) Rough Rider - Brendan Morris
57) Jimmy ginge - Craig Rees
58) RG Autotech - Graeme Beveridge
59) Galloway Hillbillies - Josh Maxwell
60) Sean Rowan - Sean Rowan
61) Monster Munch Factory Racing - Craig Brown
62) Loam rangers - Ross Pirie
63) The Veloeye Riders - Stephen Vacher
64) Fire road 5 - Gary Mcluskey
65) I was told there'd be cake - Michael Brown
66) Lancashire Lurchers - Martin Jolly
67) Lancashire Lurchers - Stuart Knott
68) Piss Stop - Ryan Wainwright-Fisher
69) DRIP! Graphics - Douglas Dickson
70) Chris E-M - Chris Emmott-Mangnall
71) None - Oliver Gregory
72) Team GMP - Kyle Mackinnon
73) Team GMP - Craig Lamb
74) Cowal mountain bike club - John william Tierney
75) Cunny funts - Scott Footman
76) Piss Stop - Christopher Violet
77) Ed Bottomley - Ed Bottomley
78) Wideopenmag.co.uk - Peter Scullion
79) ADRENALINE CYCLES - Kevin Hockley
80) - - Alex Rawcliffe
81) All 8 rashers thanks! - andrew waggot
82) Experiencing A Significant Gravity Shortfall - David Bulloch
83) Windsor Road Racing - Scott Linton
84) Melloworks RSD Bikeremedy - Craig Macdonald
85) The Firm - Daniel Phethean
86) The Firm - Luke Balmforth
87) The firm - Mark Taylor
88) The firm - Simon Taylor
89) Hobson - Nicholas Richards
90) Mudmunchers - John Toomey
91) Mudmunchers - Paul O Donnell
92) Revolution CT - Stuart Thompson
93) Lees - Sean Lees
94) Highland Megas - George Henderson
95) Highland Megas - Mark Beattie
96) Highland Megas - Dan Maccallum
97) Big mons mtb - Will Hodgson
98) Big mons mtb - Dave Jenkinson
99) JDW RACING - Jamie Wilson
100) Ae Forrest senders - Robin Smith
101) Ae Forest Senders - Jon Bloomer
102) Chewy - Adam Surplice
103) One more OTB can't hurt right? - Alan Mcfadyen
104) Mudmunchers - John Shorley
105) GWCS - Kevin Pitkeathly
106) What have I entered! - Jonathan Davies
107) Radnorshire riders - Simon Hamer
108) Radnorshire riders - CRAIG MORGAN
109) Yir Ma's a Junkie - Scott McLeod
110) Team Phoenix - Martin Loftus
111) Team Phoenix - Andrew Wiggins
112) Browner & mickey - Mike King
113) Browner & mickey - Alan Brown
114) High Peak Cycles RT - Ben Calvert
115) Radnorshire riders - Lee Miles
116) Radnorshire riders - christopher Salmon
117) Black Salami - Neil Stewart
118) Black salami - Pete Reid
119) Black Salami - Steven Tonge
120) Black Salami - Matt Hale
121) Gala CC /Mt Zoom - Andrew Howett
122) Grizzly Munro Diaries - Sean Green
123) Legendurie - Scott Durie
124) Team CHR - Jake Scutt
125) Tobesterbeast - Anthony Robb
126) @beastonthechase - Martin Baxter
127) My wife thinks I’m at work - Ramsay Stuart
128) T-POWER - Matt Towriss
129) Brixton cycles - James Sullivan
130) RAFCA - Daniel Meek
131) RAFCA - Marc Whale
132) RAFCA - Craig Hartley
133) RAFCA - Jon Vogel
134) RAFCA - Ian Churchill
135) 6 & Two 4s - Craig Falconer
136) ALL TERRAIN CYCLES SALTAIRE - Damo Hutchinson
137) LangToonMTB - Pat Clements
138) Loose Riders North East - Alex fOULGER
139) High Peak Cycles RT - Mike Windsor
140) High Peak Cycles RT - Kevin Haywood
141) High peak cycles RT - Adam Hughes
142) 20twenty bike clinic - Chris Croll
143) Best Life Ever - Dan Crowther
144) Best Life Ever - Sam Davison
145) Not Sponsored - Benjamin Pilley
146) Not Sponsored - James Pilley
147) Han Solo - Alan Petrie
148) Crazy Bacon - Mateusz Zyglicki
149) The Dawgs - Kevin McCallion
150) Mike-Avalanche 300 - Scott Murdoch
151) Not fit enough for this - Craig Ogden
152) Forrest - Joe Forrest
153) Big Testies - Iain Phillips
154) RNRMDH - Matt Sinclair
155) Royal Navy Royal Marines CA - Matthew Lund
156) RNRMDH - Joseph Williams
Vet Male 40 +157) 57 - Olly Macdonald haig
158) BikinBanter - Ryan Orr
159) FalconLogistics - Stuart Hibbert
160) - - - Chris McCann
161) Bikini Banter - Murdoch Murray
162) Bikini Banter Racing - Keith Wright
163) Alan Morton - Alan Morton
164) Saints Ciclista - Phil Hulse
165) Should know better - Chris Galloway
166) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Allan Cameron
167) GS - Russ Lamberty
168) Grampian Tigers - Kenneth Hillock
169) Jon Perry - Jon Perry
170) Kev - Kevin Rayward
171) Sasquatch Rees - Craig Rees
172) NWMTB - Dave Freeman
173) se7enty2bikes Ltd - Adam Lees
174) Nwmtb - Michael Kay
175) Yorkshire Born Yorkshire Bred - Jonathan Copley
176) The Walking Dead - Andy Hall
177) Adventure Scotland Mtb - alan stein
178) Island Monkeys - Ben Jaggard-Smith
179) Team Weasel - Steve Melville
180) Fire road 5 - Mark Murray
181) Just gonna send it - Joady MacRae
182) Meach1 - Derek Meacher
183) Bennachie Bams - Mark Faskin
184) Bennachie Bams - Philip Beattie
185) Trailbleezers - Roddy Forgie
186) Team GMP - David Slight
187) Greenrig cycles - Graeme Watters
188) Chainsmokers/HTR - Gary Hunter
189) Snowjoke - Chris Barnes
190) Bike Park Dent - Andy Myers
191) The ToolBox Project - Ivan Milner
192) BikinBanterRacing - Ben Wallace
193) Snowjoke - Ian Ellingworth
194) ADRENALINE CYCLES - Michael Edwards
195) Joel - Joel Nesbitt
196) Team R - Ewan Sandison
197) mark - mark mullins
198) Loose Riders Northeast - Mark Neal
199) ADRENALINE CYCLES - David Urwin
200) Sqeeky dooks - Graeme Allen
201) SB Racing @cowal mountain bike club - Stevie Bulloch
202) Magnus Dowell - Magnus Dowell
203) MBL - Scott Mc Diarmid
204) Colin Miller - Colin Miller
205) Variables - Kevin McGee
206) Get2it - John Gibbs
207) The Bikey Pikeys - Ally Straker
208) EMTB forums - Tim Clark
209) Hingin On - Keith Lamont
210) Botter Bikes - Andy Stiles
211) Netco - Mark Lamont
212) Worrall - David Worrall
213) Dillweed3000 - Paul Kluge
214) Dillweed30000 - Simon Fox
215) SDP - Steve Pearson
216) Beerbackbacon - Stuart Carleton
217) 3B's - Iain Morrison
218) Gaffer - Craig McGowan
219) Bennachie Bams - Derek Little
220) Sentry Rider - Paul Austin
221) Ozzy Riders - Roger Gardner
222) Sixpack racing - Wayne Tabernor
223) Botta bikes - ian gallagher
224) Trail 7 - Nigel King
225) Jase - Jason Gibbs-Jones
226) Dougie L - Dougie Laing
227) Rig111 - James Erith
228) none - richard mawson
229) biketreks - chris dixon
230) Worralls - Neil Babbs
231) Mountain Maniacs (Bennachie Division) - Iain Stuart
232) Team loner - Paul Shanks
233) JAR - Jamie Reid
234) Forres Flyers - ross mckerron
235) Worsthorne mountain bike club - Chris Harrington
236) Bones mend...press SEND. - Lee Gibson
237) Crazy Stu - Stuart Bowery
238) John80 - John McCormack
239) lang toon mtb - alexander (MARK) mailer
240) Ilkley Cycle Club - Craig Sterrett
241) GJKennedy - Gary Kennedy
242) Scone - Rod Kerr
243) Jase - Jason Gibbs-Jones
244) stephenson - trevor stepehenson
245) AIS Racing - Mark Nixon
246) The Dawgs - Derek Brooks
247) Team Sheen - Mark Hales
248) Awesome super great epic team - Euan Davidson
249) Must be crazy - Darren Minto
250) MM Meida NDH - Mark Turner
251) Not fit enough for this - Daniel Robinson
252) T- POWER RACING - Steven Howlett
253) APH - Andrew Hardy
254) Big Testies - Bryan Jardine
255) Royal navy royal marines downhill team - Andy Horsburgh
256) ROYAL NAVY ROYAL MARINES DOWNHILL TEAM - Scott Marsden
257) Bones Break, FFS - Big Jock
Grand Vets 50+258) Sqeeky dooks - Lesley McKenzie
259) Hawaii (Big) Five-O - Iain Mackay
260) SMB is MacAvinalaugh - Stephen Arthur
261) Love big bike - Nigel Love
262) TeamRideIt - Steven Bowie
263) One life Livet - Kenny Harris
264) Thursday Night Bikers - Ian Holden
265) Tha knows. - Richard Lumb
266) mx reject - Peter Taylor
267) Sqeeky dooks - Richard Mann
268) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Craig McFarlane
269) Disco Calved - Kevin Mitchell
270) 🤷♂️ - Storm Bryant
271) ThursdayShirts.co.uk - chris watson
272) Bennachie Bams - Roy Wood
273) Farahjay - Dene Happell
274) Snowjoke - John Gothorp
275) Bennachie Bams - Kenny Mearns
276) Bennachie Bams - Craig Faskin
277) Galloway Hillbillies - Christopher Helson
278) Bright Racing - Ewan McCarthy
279) Team Snow joke - paul Kirk
280) Snowjoke - Colin Firmager
281) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Brian Ramsay
282) Night Riders - Julian Cooper
283) - Peter Shevlin
284) Anguston MTB - Peter Brown
285) WTF**K - Martin Pottage
286) BLACKDOGRACING - Willie Cassidy
287) Paul can't do - Thomas Kesl
288) Paul can't do - Tony Munoz
289) Botter Bikes - Jimmy O Brien
290) Botter Bikes - Greg Francis
291) Mechanised - Jools Chesters
292) Murthly Cycle Club - Guy Batchelor
293) Murthly CC - Ian Campbell
294) Greenrig cycles - Pete Hoggan
295) Ride Ruthless - Brian Parkinson
296) El Toro - Alan Christie
297) Lees - Dave Lees
298) Nukepoof - Martin Forde
299) RAFCA - Mac Mackenzie
300) Ninja Wheels - Stewart Fowler
Hardtail301) #sheerneglect - Matt Green
302) Ale'ing, Whale'ing n Hardtailing - shane Doyle
303) Team CHR - Jared Bell
Each rider (herein after referred to as Rider) taking part in one or more events of the Macavalanch is supposed to know the following rules and makes a commitment to submit her/himself without reserve to all of them. Non-compliance with any of the Race Rules may result in disqualification of the Rider from the event.
Macavalanche is a mountain bike enduro event that takes place in a rugged mountain enviroment. Riders must complete the timed stages in numerical order
Please note the cumulitaive time of seeding stage/s will be given and your position on the start grid for mass start stage and will be allocated accordingly.
The Macavalanche is raced accordingly to the original Enduro format that means it is not allowed to check the course before the event starts.
Bike and personal equipment
The courses are designed to suit a mid travel trail bike, not specific XC or DH bikes.
Riders should use the same frame, fork and wheels during a whole event. Bikes may be scrutinized at the bottom before departing the course. All bikes must have bar plugs. Bikes must be in perfect working order. The race directors have the right to deny entry to the event if they feel a bike is not of a suitable standard.
Riders must wear a certified full face helmet at all times, including transfer stages. Riders found not wearing a helmet shall be disqualified immediately.
Full-face helmet, knee protections must be worn in all timed stages. Additionally, gloves, elbow pads and back protectors are compulsory in France, they are strongly recommended in the other countries. Riders may choose to ride the transfer stages with a non full-face helmet.
Each Rider should be completely self-sufficient. As a minimum each rider must carry the following items:
- Mobile phone.
- Basic first aid kit (Minimum: 1 x Dressing Pad for heavy bleeding (field dressing); bandage, plasters).
- Emergency Foil Blanket
- Wind/ Waterproof Top.
- Bike repair kit (tube, tire leavers, pump or CO2 canisters, Allen keys, chain tool).
- Whistle can be a good idea in case you go over a bank, break a leg and no one can see you.
- Sufficient food and water to meet your individual energy needs for 5 hours of riding.
Route Markings / Hazards
The route may have narrow sections and exposed rocks, steep climbs and descents and is not suitable for beginners. Potholes, rocks, stock, rutted tracks, steep descents, banks etc. are all natural obstacles to be negotiated by the Rider. When you are in this environment YOU are the person primarily responsible for your own safety. Any hazards outside of those expected will be identified and marked accordingly to ensure your safety.
It is the duty of each Rider to assist any other Rider who appears to be injured or in difficulty and alert the race director ASAP.
In the interests of safety there will be a cut off time to complete the whole event, Riders will be notified at race briefing on the morning of the event.
The course will be marked with signs, tape, and some sections double taped, otherwise Riders must follow the trail. If a Rider exits the timed stage course, he/she must re-enter at the same point and, if altered it, restore the tape as he/she found it.
Riders cannot repeat any stage even if they suffer a mechanical failure on course.
There is no pre-race practice.
Riders? should and should not's
Riders must not leave any rubbish along the route. All food wrappers drink bottles, tubes etc. must be carried to the finish line and not discarded anywhere along the route. Anyone seen discarding rubbish will be disqualified and will not receive a time or position as applicable (leave tire marks only).
Riders may not modify race number plates.
Riders must attend the pre-race briefing and carefully read any note supplied by the organization. Riders must obey instructions from Marshals at all times. They are there for everyone?s safety and enjoyment.
Each Rider authorizes the race organization and its partners to use any images or videos taken during the event he/she may be appearing in.
Any Rider withdrawing from the event must notify the race office as soon as possible.
Each Rider has to adapt his/her speed and his/her behaviour to his/her personal abilities, his/her equipment and to the general conditions the event is raced in.
If you are unable to compete for medical reasons we will refund you on receipt of a doctors note.
It is not possible to transfer entries to any other events, next years event, or a different Rider.
For the registration, the payment will be made by on-line payment and the Rider will have to inform an on-line form concerning his names, first names, age, gender and address.
Responsibilities of Riders
The timed stages are timed using individual electronic chip. It is the responsibility of each rider to make sure his/her passage has been recorded at the start and finish of each timed stage (sound signal). Each Rider must return the individual electronic chip to the organizer at the end of the race in order to withdraw his/her individual timed results and get his/her deposit back.
Penalties and complaints
No external assistance on the track, assistance is only allowed in the pits area. Assistance outside the pits area will result in time penalty.
When a Rider is caught by another faster Rider, he/she should let the other Rider pass without issue, otherwise he/she'll be issued a 30sec penalty. The faster Rider should give lots of warming and clear directions as to what side he/she will pass and eventually overtake when it is safe to do so for both Riders.
Riders must not deviate from the obvious track or attempt to take shortcuts. Shortcuts mean immediate disqualification.
Any complaints about the race should be done formally to the race office within 15 minutes of end of Riders race.
Any complains about the result should be done formally to the race office within 30 minutes of result's publication.
Any dangerous or disrespectful behaviour against other racers, marshals, nature, trails or spectators will lead to a time penalty depending of the level of the fault. Race director can also decide the disqualification of the Rider.
Podium and prizes
Award Ceremony will be held on race day. Riders who finish in the top three in their category must attend the podium presentation. Riders who fail to make the presentation forfeit their position, and prizes. There will be no difference in values between prizes for men or women for the same level of achievement.