10 Under the Ben 2020
10 Under the Ben, we believe is Scotland's original and best mountain bike endurance event!
I am new 10 Under the ben what should I expect?
Firstly the clue is in the name, No Fuss, that's just what we do!
What about the course? You will find some fine climbs, some sweet singletrack, great gripping descents and a whole lot of fun. It's up to you, you can go as hard, or easy, as you like. The trail network at Nevis Range has been developed around the cross country world cup course which was originally built in 2007, since then there have been some great additions to the network. We are in no doubt that the course team will deliver another cracker of a course for 2020.
Sticking to the classic mountain bike endurance marathon format of an approx 10-mile lap and a 10-hour time limit, 10 Under the Ben takes place on the trails beneath Ben Nevis. 10 Under the Ben has stood the test of time and continues to attract an average of 700 riders. Racing in categories which include solos, pairs or quads.
ENTRIES ARE NOW OPEN FOR 2020
The aim is to complete as many laps as you can in the 10 hour time limit.
Teams ride in relay – there’s only one team member on the course at any one time. The event is timed using a Sportident Timing system, each team or solo will be issued with a timing card at registration, The card is worn by the team member on course. When a rider crosses the lap finish line their time is recorded, and they then pass the card onto the next team member and so on.
Riders can do as many laps (or as few) as they want in the time. After riders have passed through the timing area their lap time is recorded, they then pass the card onto another team mate or continue if riding solo.
There will be plenty going on around the course and event village, the course itself will have marshals at all strategic points, Muddy Medics will be on site and on the course if assistance is needed at any point.
The race starts at 0930 on Saturday 23rd of May 2020. You must register beforehand (or the evening before) to collect your race number, timing chip and course information.
Full details will be sent to entrants with participant notes in the lead up to the race.
Solo Entry £30.00
Pair Entry £60.00
Quad Entry £120.00
We often get asked What do I get for my entry fee?
Apart from all the boring stuff like VAT paid, relevant insurance, business administartion, payroll etc. You know the stuff that it takes to run a business in 2020.
You will get 10 hours of top riding with like-minded people doing something that we all love on some of the best trails that Scotland has to offer, trails that will hold out no matter what the weather.
Your race times will be recorded by Sportident Electronic timing and full results will be available throughout the race and full results will be online throughout the race.
Event village with great food and drink.
The best on course medics available.
On site and on course tech support.
Entertainment, "Music and Laughter with a hey hey we're the boys to entertain you" those of you of age may want to sing that wee line.
There will be parking gestapo working the main sites that we are using to help, please listen to them, they are going to get you all in! Please note there is ample parking for all participants, there is not ample space for every participant to park and have an easy up, bbq, toilet tent etc etc. We will do our best to accommodate all needs where possible. Parking for Caravans and larger motorhomes will be at Nevis Range over spill car park. There is plenty parking between Nevis Range and the overspill area, we are delighted to announce that parking for the event will FREE OF CHARGE for 2020.
As always the earlier you arrive the easier it is to assist you in finding the sweetest spot. If you are camping there are limited spaces around the car park. Please take all rubbish away with you at the end of the event, this will be very helpful.
The event schedule is not quite complete, although here is a rough breakdown of how the day will work. We will keep you posted as the day builds.
FRIDAY 22 May
1800 - 2100 10 Under the Ben Registration at the Pine Martin Cafe at Nevis Range
SATURDAY 23rd May – 10 UNDER THE BEN
0630 - 0830 Registration 10 Under the Ben
0845 Mandatory Team Captains meeting 10 Under the Ben
0930 Ten Under The Ben Race Start
1930 Last lap commence 10 Under the Ben
2030 Timing Closed
2100 Medal Ceremony 10 Under the Ben
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Solo Male1) Fuel Jockey - Stephen Lethardy
2) A Fish supper will be earned - Neil Scott
3) Sandy Crew - Stuart Davidson
4) Team Lexi Sue - Mick Iveson
5) SQUAD - Matthew Cherrie
6) Bennachie Bike Bothy - Andrew Scouller
7) SQUAD - Chris Hutchison
8) Dirty Weekenders - David Gillon
9) Solus - Matt Cowan
10) Don't stop - Darren Dean
11) Don't Panic - Felix Maddison
12) Total Endurance Aberdeen - andy Davidson
13) McCardle - Brian McCardle
14) Nevis cycles race team - GARY MACDONALD
15) Mainer - Iain Main
16) SR Albannach - John Mackenzie
17) SR Albannach - Chris Barr
18) Richards cycles, chicken G Racing. - Jason Lindsay
19) Malc A - Malcolm Atkinson
20) Meta Bike Division - James Mccallum
21) Welsh Cake - Jason davies
22) Hard as concrete - Paul Fowler
23) Cotswold outdoor - Russ Walton
24) Phil Gray MukyRiderz - Phil Gray
25) Grumpy Chump - Stuart Burge
26) JC - Johnny Chree
27) Mukyz Marko - Mark Herd
28) Montrose Triathlon Club - Paul Kefford
29) Jim Sutherland - Jim Sutherland
30) Even slower than last year - James McNeilly
31) Fullsuss.com - Craig Duffy
32) I-cycles - Steven Deas
33) TMSCRC - Tomas Bolanos
34) MoFlow - Oliver Carter
35) Pee Stained Hobo - Steve Lambie
36) Lots of Fuss - Barrie Dallas
37) Rob Hinds - Rob Hinds
38) Dirty Wicker - Iain Nicolson
39) LRC Miler - Graham Dickie
40) Basecamp Bikes/Merida Bicycles U.K. - Kyle Beattie
41) The maddos - David Burns
42) AHC Powertools - Barry MacPherson
43) RG Autotech - Graeme Beveridge
44) Django - Michael Johnson
45) Resilience Scotland - ian cormack
46) Glasgow Mountain Bike Club - Scott Michie
47) James Gardiner - James Gardiner
48) Collier Garden Solutions - Alasdair Collier
49) Samual Gardiner - Samual Gardiner
50) Jake - Jake Nicol
51) Chris Gower - Chris Gower
52) Phil Bryan - Phil Bryan
53) Alweld24 - Allan Campbell
54) GalaCC - Julian Howell
55) DavidA - David Atkinson
56) Ambleside AC - Chris Robinson
57) 2 geeks, 3 peaks - craig mcgougan
58) 2 geeks, 3 peaks - william neilson
59) OARMAARM - Richard Lawley
60) A piece is a sandwich, ken? - Gary Thompson
61) Gio Tolhurst - Gordon Tolhurst
62) BigBadBadura RaceTeam - Rob Badura
63) BigBadBadura RaceTeam - Matt Badura
64) The Indian Fire Trail - San Kapil
Solo Female65) Moragh Taylor - Moragh Taylor
66) Flying Squirrel - Sarah Tamm
67) Bennachie Bike Bothy - Erin Wood
68) Dirt Vixens - Claire McMullen
69) Cat(astrophe) - Cat Hirst
70) - Dawn Anderson
71) Cowal Mountain Bike Club Jeannie - Jean Mclennan
72) Puddle Duck - Riley Tamm
73) KL4 - Kirsty Lee
74) Solo Jo - Jo Cooke
75) Restless Natives - Paula Wilkie
Pair Male76) Uphill Strugglers - Scott Cameron
77) Uphill Strugglers - Mark Bell
78) Full Shoe - David Macdonald
79) Full Shoe - Patrick MacInnes
80) Bleezing Saddles - Dave Barclay
81) Bleezing Saddles - Dwayne Coutts
82) The Man Who Wasn't There - Mark Stewart
83) The Man Who Wasn't There - Iain Donnachie
84) Jack n' Victor - Stuart Sutherland
85) Jack n' Victor - George Christie
86) SandysAndTheBanter - Zachariah Foster
87) SandysAndTheBanter - Euan Macalister
88) Boys Of The Dell - James Maclean
89) Boys Of The Dell - Scott Shiells
90) Stoorie Midori - Gregor Sutherland
91) Stoorie Midori - Alasdair McKinley
92) rideforclare - Vince Mackintosh
93) rideforclare - Campbell Mackintosh
94) Fats n small - David Shearer
95) Fats n small - Ryan Crichton
96) West lomond descenders - Callum Carmichael
97) West lomond descenders - Bob Cunningham
98) West lomond descenders - Scott Hardie
99) West lomond descenders - Paul McConville
100) West lomond descenders - Phil Galloway
101) West lomond descenders - Owen McConville
102) Hawdit & Dawdit - Iain Rivans
103) Hawdit & Dawdit - James McDade
104) Mud is dum backwards - Robbie Mackay
105) Mud is dum backwards - Richard Armstrong
106) The Indy Ref 2 - Graham Macnab
107) The Indy Ref 2 - Kenny McIntyre
108) Slow and steady - Alasdair Hynd
109) Slow and steady - Paul Kennedy
110) Pedal Power RT/Espresso Cycle Coaching - Alan Maxwell
111) Pedal Power RT/Espresso Cycle Coaching - Keith Greenwood
112) Discovery senior 1 - Niall Till
113) Discovery senior 1 - Billy Whyte
114) Where's Colin - Brian Morren
115) Where's Colin - Scott Philp
116) C-bike or E-bike? - Jack Vamplew
117) C-bike or E-bike? - Colin Ritchie
118) IFixCycles - Scott Davidson
119) IFixCycles - Andrew Christie
120) Hardies Bikes Melrose - Scott Ramsay
121) Hardies Bikes Melrose - Graham Forbes
Pair Female122) The Original Ben Wyfies Cake Club - Deirdre Graham
123) The Original Ben Wyfies Cake Club - Karyn MacKenzie
124) TheCoolGals - Eliza Barrie
125) TheCoolGals - Amelia Shuttleworth
126) Not 10, 2 - Caroline McKaig
127) Not 10, 2 - Clare Taylor
128) Massive Attack Position (Dirt Vixens) - Jill Paterson
129) Massive Attack Position (Dirt Vixens) - Shaheen Salaripour
130) Queens of the Loamage (Dirt Vixens) - Rosie Fletcher
131) Queens of the Loamage (Dirt Vixens) - Kirstin Morrison
Pair Mix132) Discovery junior .1 - Lexa Whyte
133) Discovery junior .1 - Eric Till
134) I-Cycles - Martin aawalker
135) I-Cycles - Rachael McDougal
136) The Harvey Dows - Caroline Harvey
137) The Harvey Dows - Alistair Dow
138) Team Fit Fifties Fun - Davie Robb
139) Team Fit Fifties Fun - Sharon Robb
140) I want to ride my bicycle. - Sian McCallum
141) I want to ride my bicycle. - Peter Willson
142) Ionagh’s cannon fodder - Ken Provan
143) Ionagh’s cannon fodder - Helen Wallace
Quad Female144) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Jenny Ward
145) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Katie Small
146) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Rachel Mckerral
147) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Zoe Newson
148) Notorious MTB (Dirt Vixens) - Blaze Sykes
149) Notorious MTB (Dirt Vixens) - Ann Miller
150) Notorious MTB (Dirt Vixens) - Lucy Dalton
151) Notorious MTB (Dirt Vixens) - Carol Robertson
Quad Mix152) Never say Nevis Again - Allie Scott
153) Never say Nevis Again - Chris Ashmole
154) Never say Nevis Again - John Scott
155) Never say Nevis Again - Helen Ash
Rules and Regulations
It is important that you and your teammates and support crew read these very carefully. Each lap is approximately 10 miles -under 1 hour for the fastest riders, nearly 2 hours for those who are new to the sport or are just that wee bit more careful. The courses will consist of a bit of everything, including wide single track, narrow single track with rocks, roots, mud, fast flowing single track, low gear uphill’s, water crossings, technical ascents and descents, plus fire roads. The event is for solo riders and for teams in a relay format.
1. Mandatory pre-event meeting at 0830 on Saturday for all team captains/team leaders, although all riders and crew are encouraged to attend. Teams must designate a captain/ team leader (this will be understood to be first name entered in team) to handle all official matters including pre event meeting, picking up registration packs, making sure all teammates have correct numbers and have completed any paperwork etc.
2. Each team and solo rider will bear responsibility for their timing. In order for laps to count riders must pass through the transition area and use the chips correctly every time a lap is completed.
3. Waiting riders should always check in with transition officials prior to starting their lap. Please adhere to the NO RIDE RULES in transition areas. Riders should only use solo riders area if they are in that class.
4. If a team member wishes to do two laps in a row it essential that they still ‘dib’ when passing through transition.
5. Each team member and solo rider must complete a minimum of one lap. Teams will be penalised a lap for each lap not completed by each member except in the case of any injury, which must be reported to race official who will make final decision.
6. If a team member cannot complete his or her lap, the team has the option of starting the lap over with a new rider. They will however, lose the distance and time of the uncompleted lap. The replacement rider must check in with timing official prior to starting the lap.
7. For obvious safety reasons there is no reverse riding on the course.
8. Teammates may cannibalise each other’s bikes or swap if necessary. Riders may accept mechanical support on the course by any other registered rider; transition and camp areas is the only area where assistance from support crews is acceptable.
9. Riders may accept food and water from anyone on the course.
10. We strongly suggest that each team and solo rider have a support crew of at least 1 or 2 persons who are not taking part to assist with various jobs such as organsing transitions, cooking and assisting with mechanical problems.
11. Bike wash areas will be available at each event. Toilets and showers will be available throughout the weekend. Please use the toilets provided.
12. If you are planning camping please be aware that there is limited space in the car park at Nevis Range. The ground is almost all hard standing and not easy to get pegs in. Space is allocated at a first come, first serve basis. Camping will also be available at Torlundy Farm, which is around 2 miles cycle on an old forestry access road (tarred).
13. You will need all your own camping supplies. A variety of food (hot and cold meals, soup and snacks) will be available for purchase at the transition area Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Check website for event specific updates.
14. Riders may require lights, which must be at least 4 watts and be secured to bikes or helmet. NO FUSS will have final say when lights should be used.
15. If lighting is required it will be against the rules for riders to ride with their lights out to save batteries. Riders violating this rule will have their current lap nullified.
16. Only riders officially entered in the event or designated as “Official Course Marshals” may ride the designated course.
17. Wearing a buckled helmet is mandatory anytime you are on your bike in the race area (not just when it is your lap).
18. All team captains and solo riders must attend pre-race meeting at 0830 on the Saturday
19. Ignorance of any rule will not be accepted as an excuse.
20. Foul riding will not be tolerated, unsportsmanlike behaviour is totally un-acceptable. This includes the use of profane or abusive language, this rule is taken very seriously by No Fuss and anyone who violates this rule shall be disqualified from this and any future No Fuss events.
21. Shortcutting the course can be grounds for automatic disqualification of the solo rider or the entire team. If a rider makes a mistake and they report to officials before it is discovered, a time adjustment will be applied rather than a DQ.
22. Riders who are riding their bikes have the right of way over those who are pushing their bikes. Where practical, riders pushing should stay on the least rideable portion of the trail when being passed. Riders are encouraged to call pleasantly “passing on the right or left” as appropriate.
23. All protests must be made by a team captain to a No Fuss Official ( Frazer or Spook . Protests can be made throughout the event and up to 15 mins after the final results are posted. It would be appreciated if any protests could be made respectfully to the officials. No Fuss officials say is final in all protests.
24. Safety on the course is our primary concern. If you come across an injured rider or a potentially unsafe situation, you are encouraged to stop and assist. If you stop to give assistance for a health and safety related reason, you should report your number to a passing rider who will turn it in to the transition official so that your team’s next rider may commence their lap. You must then complete your lap, report to the transition official and report the nature of the assistance you provided and an approximate duration of your stop. You will be assigned a lap time in accordance with your or your teams average times, whichever is the faster. NB Time adjustments are made by a No Fuss official and are final. NOTE This rule applies to ONLY health and safety concerns and not mechanical failure.
25. Dropping of Litter on the course will absolutely not be tolerated and may result in DQ. Leave only tyre tracks!
26. The NO FUSS OFFICIALS (FRAZER, SPOOK ) will be given the final decision regarding any occurrence at the event including those not addressed in the rules.