Tour de Ben Nevis - September 22 2012
Well done to everyone who took part in the 2012 Tour. Provisional Results are here
WELCOME to the No Fuss ultimate MTB challenge for endurance athletes and
people with a sense of adventure
The event is about circumnavigating Ben Nevis starting from Fort William the Outdoor
Capital of the UK. It is a 72km journey of discovery about our wonderful environment,
about yourself and for some we have no doubt, about your bike. It is a stage race where the aim is to gather points from stages and for those at the fornt can be a very tactical race.
It is an opportunity to ride through some of the most rugged and isolated areas that the
Scottish Highlands have to offer. The course is undulating and varied with river and stream
crossings, climbs and long descents.
This is one of the country’s longest point to point events; this course has been described as
MTB Endurance and a Mountain Marathon race all rolled into one. It is tough but it is
However we stress, this is more of an event than a race. Those that are super fit and want to
race hard will not be disappointed and the special timed sections will spice it up a bit and
really bring out the competitors from within. Those who see this as a major personal
challenge will be able to pace themselves and enjoy the history, adventure, and wilderness
of this remote area.
The course will not be littered with signage and support people, it will be left as untouched
as possible to allow you to enjoy this environment in its natural state. With this comes some
personal responsibility, which is a big part of the event ethos. We are taking the bubblewrapping
away and letting you take on this event knowing that you will need motivation and
tenacity to get to the finish line.
Friday 21st September 6-9pm Nevis Centre, Fort William
There is no official registration on the morning of the event however if you are unable to make it on the Friday evening please contact us to make arrangements to collect your registration pack and any briefing information.
At the registration you will receive:
• Race briefing, safety and the latest course changes / information. Including special
• Your personal race number plate and zip ties to attach your number to your bike. The
number must be attached securely to the front of your bike for the entire event. Do not
alter or cut the number plate in any way.
• Timing chip/dibber
For 2012 all entrants will be supplied with a Hog Roast Meal after completion of the event in Fort William High Street.
Cut Off Times - Due to the remote area in which the event takes place for 2012 we are imposing a strict set of cut-off times for competitors and marshals well-being!!
If you have not reached the top of the Mamore Descent by 1230 you will be short coursed along along the Landrover track to Mamore Lodge to continue with the event.
If you are not at the top of the Mamore Descent by 1330 you will told to return by the way you came.
Start Date / Time
Saturday 22nd september 10am
Reserve day Sunday (all race timings will remain the same). All riders must be parked by
9 am to ensure you are at the start line on time. All Riders must be on the start line at
10:00 am. Leave room for elite riders at the front of the start line to ensure you are not in
the wrong place when the start gun goes.
Please listen to the Race Briefing carefully as it contains important safety and or course change
information that you need to know. Route/stage cards will be issued at registration.
Will be held in the evening from 2000 at The Nevis Centre
Fort William is located on the A82 approximately
100 miles north of Glasgow.
From the South
As you enter Fort William from the South, follow the bypass to the first roundabout, go straight through towards Mcdonalds. At the next roundabout take the second exit, Nevis Centre is
second on the left.
From the North
Drive towards the town centre but move into the right lane at the Belford Hospital to pass the turn for town centre, stay in the right lane and take the second exit at the roundabout, towards McDonalds. At the next roundabout take the second exit, Nevis Centre is second on the left.
Please Park at the Nevis Centre where there will be designated parking; competitors are
encouraged not to park in Morrison’s Car Park for the duration of the event.
This event takes place in one of the most scenic areas of Scotland and Fort William town
will hopefully provide you with everything and more that you will need for your stay.
If we can assist please do not hesitate to contact us.
If you do not register by 2100hrs on Friday 21st, we will assume you will not be coming. If
you are unable to make the briefing please can you inform us and we can make
arrangements to get your race pack to you in the morning.
It is the responsibility of the competitor to ensure their bike is road worthy and their helmet undamaged.
Safety and First Aid
First aid will be provided out on the course. Rescue Medics will be providing cover at the
transition and will have trained First aiders out on the bike course.
There will be 5 special stages in the race, each stage is compulsory for every rider. Points
will be awarded based on time for the stage and the person with the total number of points will win the race NB not necessarily the rider who is over the line first. If the stage is missed for any reason the rider will be given zero points that stage.
It will be the rider’s responsibility to ensure that they have ‘dibbed’ their timing chip at the
start and finish of each special stage. At some of the more remote stages the ‘dibbing’
points may not be manned, but will be signed SPECIAL STAGE START and SPECIAL STAGE
FINISH. Please remember to dib!! If you have never ‘dibbed’ before please ask for a demo
Stage 1 WHW descent into Kinlochleven, approx 1.5km steep rocky descent.
Stage 2 Alt Coire na Ba bridge to Loch Eilde Mor, approx 3.3km, landrover track..
Stage 3 Luibielt to Lairig bothy, approx 5.5km carry/climb and sweet descent.
Stage 4 Blue Crane descent Nevis Range
Stage 5 Start to finish i.e. the whole route
Tour de Ben Nevis route map click HERE (Complete route is special stage 5)
Special Stage 1 map click HERE
Special Stage 2 map click HERE
Special Stage 3 map click HERE
Special Stage 4 map click HERE
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Solo Sen Male1) gonnafinishthistime!!! - Mike Quayle
2) alphatango - Alasdair Tooze
3) Cyclist No. 1 - Richard Fox
4) Thomsons Cycles - Roger Campbell-Crawford
5) Crash n Learn - Andrew Meiklejohn
6) twenty sixer - David Taggart
7) Colin Scotland - Colin Scotland
8) Trek UK - Andrew Dodds
9) richard sharpe - richard sharpe
10) Haggis Super - Peter Davies
11) Team Glentress Mincer - Andrew Cunningham
12) AMCC - Andrew McClean
13) Plodalot - Nathan Gabbott
14) wideopen.co.uk/Hotlines Europe - Pete Scullion
15) Furious Purpose - Alasdair Macniven
16) Bike Shop Hexham - Huw Oliver
17) Double D - Derek Main
18) Lone Ranger - Scott Houston
19) www.allthegearnoidea.net - James Wearn
20) Cuppa Tea Lad - Andrew Sellars
21) no pain no punctures - James Prowse
22) Noodle - Andrew Clitheroe
23) Chicks Dig It - Gordon Hawthorn
24) veggi might - sheldon kilroe
25) ewanmac - Ewan MacGillivray
26) Team Logotech - Anthony Brown
27) Team Logotech - Mark Brown
28) ATGNI - Mike Hind
29) Too stupid to give up - Tim Senior
30) Ross Hayward - Ross Hayward
31) Przemek Marek - Przemek Marek
32) Thing 1 - Bob Garven
33) Dezzy - Derek Shanks
34) Go-Where.co.uk - Matt Cox
35) Hooligan Junior - Dave Jackson
36) 39 Engineer Regiment - David Jones
37) 39 Engineer Regiment - Chirs Ackerman
38) 39 Engineer Regiment - Matt Simister
39) 39 Engineer Regiment - Jono Wilkinson
40) 39 Engineer Regiment - Brian Forbes
41) 39 Engineer Regiment - D Urbaniak
42) 39 Engineer Regiment - Speedy Hadfield
43) 39 Engineer Regiment - Daniel Botterel
44) 39 Engineer Regiment - L Adams
45) 39 Engineer Regiment - Waters
46) 39 Engineer Regiment - M Morris Jones
47) 39 Engineer Regiment - PA Turner
48) 39 Engineer Regiment - D Edwards
49) 39 Engineer Regiment - J Hill
50) Beakjul boolgool - Phil Hulse
51) 39 Engineer Regiment - D Spencer
52) RLSCC / thebikeyard - Ben Neaves
53) HPR Deeside - Tim Mackley
54) L3 CAD - Barry Parker
55) survivalisvictory - andrew mcvey
56) whoneedsmates - john o malley
57) Solo Sheltie - scott macleod
58) carnethy - Henry Cruickshank
59) Fifeing Eejit - Niall Wallace
60) Why Again? - Craig Hogg
61) Surging out of Convalescence - Laurie Piper
62) Team Logotech - Paul Telfer
63) The Quantock Hooners - James Potter
64) Something Cool - Martin Keys
65) Something Cool - Keith Fowler
66) Muddy@rse - Rick Ornleas
67) The BIG Team - Chris Smallwood
68) The BIG Team - Stu Skinner
69) www.mtbguisborough.com/Bikescene - Rory Spence
70) Glasgow Iain - Iain Kennedy
71) G-Banger - Graham Bottomley
72) Alpha Tango - Carlo Guidi
73) Team S.P.O.A.D.O. - Krister Bone
74) SWCC/Mt Zoom/Bikefood - Andrew Howett
75) The Braes o' Fife Militia - Colin McGregor
76) jonnybravo - Jonny Henshall
77) supermac - gary macdonald
78) ManagedResponseMarketing.com - Craig Letton
79) Maciej Garbien - Maciej Garbien
80) iPlod - Euain Drysdale
81) RWD Brakes Factory Racing - MATT BROWN
82) Mountain Maniacs - Steve Gentle
83) MYGAYCAT - SAMUEL JONES
84) velo moulin - greig walker
85) Bikevillage.co.uk - James Davidson
86) Scarlachio's - Chris Morrell
87) Seagal's Fringe - Phil Chalmers
88) Team John - John Russell
89) Alpine tour novices - Chris Armstrong
90) Team Thrust - Graeme Kerr
91) Team Thrust - Kenny Mumford
92) Long Road to Ruined - Tom Gillibrand
93) Alan Bros - James Sutton
94) Alan bros - Ben Wear
95) andy heaton - andy heaton
96) Don't follow my line - Jim Shields
97) itsanicedayoot - Jon Deighton
98) Muchty Riders - Lewis Marshall
99) whoo-haa rammit - jean-claude van der veken
100) GT Racing UK - Dave Henderson
101) Singletrack Bikes - Colin Mackintosh
102) whats the worst.. - james urquhart
103) The Gingerbread Men - Alex Walton
104) The Gingerbread Men - Craig Wilson
105) Garrion Grizzlies - Callum Ferguson
106) 2 docs and an invalid - Grant Harris
107) 2 docs and an invalid - Iain Belford
108) Team Dalley - Ben Hudson
109) The Simon Stump Experience (Featuring Kenny) - Kenny Birney
110) The Simon Stump Experience (Featuring Kenny) - Simon Stump
111) What's the worst.. - Donald MacDonald
112) Teambuktu - Andi Singh
113) Blackhawk bikes.co.uk - Simon Davison
114) MFCC - Alexander Roger
115) 2 docs and an invalid - Paul Bowker
116) The good the bad and the ugly - Steve Williams
117) Team Osbark! - matthew osborne
118) WTF - mike frear
119) Bollocknack UK - Stephen Foster
120) One Ton Weekend - Thomas Hetherington
121) One Ton Weekend - Timmy Colebrooke
122) ABZ MTB - Alex Gordon
123) Team Hope Factory Racing - Rob Jarman
124) Whit.....No again! - Mark Brown
125) Team Leslie bike shop - Paul Newnham
126) St. Piran pedaler - Steve Long
127) BRONEILL2 - Nathan ONeill
128) All the way! - Adam Leach
129) Team S.P.O.A.DO. - John Shippey
130) I would love to be sponsored.. Hint hint - Ben Miller
131) Parrot Racing - Mark Brady
132) Parrot Racing - Billy McMillan
133) ABZ MTB - Martin Byers
134) JammyDodgers - James Curnock
135) The Crowster - Michael Crow
136) Lochaber Broom Wagon - Nick McArdle
137) Snaba - Alex Doig
138) Tea and cake break? - Arran Keir
139) theflyingpaddy - David Cashman
140) One Hairy Testcycle - Martin Chisholm
141) Basecamp Bikes - Donald Rodgers
142) Sky Velo - Will Chicken
143) Innerleithen MTB Racing / I-Cycles - Douglas Shearer
144) singletrackbikes.co.uk - David Macmillan
145) 3ft Vert - Gary McIntyre
146) The Other Hairy Testcycle - Colin Hay
147) Tanuki - Bob MacGregor
148) More Nutz than Bolts - Ricky Wells
149) More Nutz than Bolts - William Nicolson
150) More Nutz than Bolts - Iain Nicolson
151) Sky Velo - Marc Blair
152) Fat Boys Slim - Brian Bain
153) Raju Sangra - Raju Sangra
154) Faster than a midge I hope - Ryan Singlehurst-Ward
155) velo club moulin - jon meredith
156) TheTorraTerrors - Daniel Mallin Martin
157) Mark Wood - Mark Wood
158) MJAP - Michael Porter
159) Bollocknack UK - Peter Tiplady
160) Seagal's Fringe - Daniel Mill
161) The Bicycle Works - Ben Arnott
162) steve'o - Steven Ruffell
163) Shovel Headed Kill Machine - Sam Holdsworth
164) Carrick Cycles - Paul Turner
165) 50 Shades of Red - Sinclair Short
166) Lone Monkey - John Chree
167) Muddy Smile - Dave McLean
168) Edinburgh University CC - Stuart Gilfillan
169) The Irish Connection - Mark Doyle
170) hardtail pride - michael clyne
171) Cus-Thom - Thomas Moro
172) If I have to.. - Nick Ball
173) Sandy Wallace Cycles - John Woodrow
174) Team boogidiboo - Richard Eggleton
175) Go Hard or go home - Blair Cartmell
176) Ord on tour - Jamie Kunka
177) Quattro Fromaggio - Tom Downie
178) Craigyboy - craig Coull
179) just me! - clive coney
180) Team Inveroy - Ruari Watt
181) Ronan Dugan - Ronan Dugan
182) GU Energy/Tri Center - Rory Downie
183) sheik mahand - iain Rivans
184) Team Menstrual Cycles - David Turkington
185) Team Menstrual Cycles - Jamie Hancox
186) Team Menstrual Cycles - Simon Trotter
187) TCJ Orange - James Shirley
188) Deeside Thistle CC - Jack Richards
189) mchardski - alan mchardy
190) ABZ MTB - Calum Shand
191) Clever Mule - Martin Keys
Solo Sen Female192) ATGNI MTB - Jessica Wiegand
193) no pain no punctures - Mandy Prowse
194) Why Why Why? - Natalie Hogg
195) HPR Deeside - Mona Petrie
196) MBRO35 - Sarah-Anne Keenan
197) Cotic/A Quick Release Holidays - Katie Collins
198) Go-Where - Aneela McKenna
199) Teambuktu - Jenny Aungier
200) FOX EUROPE / The Development - Angela Coates
201) Ronde riding - Genevieve Whitson
202) Team Hope Factory Racing - Rachael Walker
203) Amy Ford - Amy Ford
204) Active Schools - Roslyn Newman
205) Team Berghaus - Jenni Campbell
206) Hervelo - Sandra Scally
207) Too much cake - Sally Lloyd
208) Seemed like a good idea at the time! - Lorna Ball
209) Play in the woods - Tracey Cashman
210) Marie - Marie Meldrum
Solo Sen Mixed211) Alpine tour novices - Liam Jones
Solo Vet Male212) Duffer - Stewart Eastaugh
213) Andrew Ward - Andrew Ward
214) Glasgow Triathlon Club - Sean Webster
215) Neep BOOM - Kenny Mitchell
216) Mat Lovell - Mat Lovell
217) Tinto Hill Runners - Colin MacDougall
218) Just do it. - Jaimie Mccune
219) B.O.M.B.A. Squad - Graham Hanratty
220) 2Guids - Ewan Good
221) The Fallguys - Robert Morris
222) The Fallguys - Steve Gibbons
223) The Fallguys - Steve Greenough
224) The Lone Sprocket - Michael Park
225) cranky porter - David Porter
226) TNFC - Guy Kesteven
227) Paul Innes - Paul Innes
228) Chris Lockart - Chris Lockhart
229) Team neasham - Colin Sanderson
230) Team Dunhouse - Paul Allison
231) Edward Homson - Edward Homson
232) ABC - Mike Milne
233) RNRMCA - Jon Foden
234) JT - Jim Thomson
235) Halifax or Bust - Andrew Henly
236) Perth City Cycles - John McLaggan
237) One - armed bandit - Iain Martin
238) Dunracin' CC - Jim McDade
239) Double D - David Richardson
240) ABC SS - Neil Scott
241) Whisky Chaser - Martin Walker
242) Guillaume - Will Lafferty
243) Big Al - Alan Cameron
244) harneyorama - David Harney
245) Ian Holden - Ian Holden
246) Team S.P.O.A.D.O. - Martin Cook
247) Team S.P.O.A.D.O. - Gavin Peters
248) Bear Essentials - James Ridley
249) redsank - san kapil
250) Muchty Riders - John Johnston
251) 39 Engineer Regiment - K Thompson
252) 39 Engineer Regiment - Darren Taylor
253) Young4Life - Jimmy Young
254) Standard Life Cycle Club - Kenneth Pollock
255) DB Riders - Paul Bromley
256) Peebles Cycling Club - David Winton
257) Peebles Cycling Club - Richard Semple
258) nineonesix-guiding - Jim Sutherland
259) P Nutter - Pete Collier
260) Gruinard Bay Wheelers - Peter Collins
261) Westway Wine Alcoholic - mark condliffe
262) The Quantock Hooners - Jon Avery
263) The Quantock Hooners - Iain Wyatt
264) The BIG Team - Mike Kennedy
265) Scotpuffers - Graham Wilson
266) Scotpuffers - David Hogg
267) On My Own! - Jim McAra
268) Sir Crampalot - Barrie Kinnaird
269) No-sense-bikers - Ian Harty
270) LABRAT CC - Dougie Philip
271) Plan Dee - Gary Hughes
272) Walkers Cycling Club - Steve Lockhart
273) The Insomniac - Simon Brooke
274) Single Track Bikes - Colin Birrel
275) i-cycles - Steven Deas
276) itsanicedayoot - Richard Scott
277) itsanicedayoot - Martin Rae
278) itsanicedayoot - Alan Cross
279) No9 Dental - Peter Buchan
280) touched by madness - David Allan
281) Singletrack Bikes - Derek Lothian
282) SJH 1 - Simon Hall
283) Woo Ha Rammit - David McKendry
284) Mad Max - Mark Allan
285) Blackhawkbikes.co.uk - Justin Crosby
286) The Good The Bad and The Ugly - gary benniman
287) THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - ANDREW WEBSTER
288) Team WIT - Neville McEwen
289) Duffus Express - Matt Hall
290) Here Comes Bod - Austen Bodie
291) Mo Neep - Barry Coull
292) Flying Hell Fish (AMRT) - Gary Drummond
293) Corran Navy - George Maitland
294) Abacus - Mike Pescod
295) ActivityBug - Ben Glencross
296) Rupert Lavender - Rupert Lavender
297) BRONEILL1 - Shaleph ONeill
298) 3 men and a ginger - David Bewley
299) 3 men and a ginger - Jason Todd
300) Piper Down - Rory Campbell
301) mcgrath - Phil McGrath
302) Rule 5 Obeyers - Alan Krichell
303) Big Dave - David Harcourt
304) Masters of the Long Shortcut - Keith Hardy
305) Masters of the Long Shortcut - Fraser Millar
306) three men and a ginger - david mcewan
307) Rule 5 Obeyers - Ewen Alexander
308) BrokeBack Bikers - Simon Hare
309) JammyDodgers - Roger Kitton
310) Rule 5 Obeyers - Darren Links
311) Better than last year - John Calvert
312) Team Omega - Charlie Brecknell
313) top notch bs - nigel love
314) Team Wolfpax - john farquhar
315) Team Fat Gypsy - Chris McCahill
316) Fat Boys Slim - Paul Carter
317) Cyclones - Steve Webster
318) Fat Boys Slim - Stewart Taylor
319) squadra porcini - iain nimmo
320) Duffus Express - Tim Clarke
321) menzis - david menzies
322) Musselburgh RCC - Ant Mayer
323) Nevis Novices - Richard Cramb
324) Moray Mountain Bike Club - Jim Barron
325) three men and a ginger - mark brown
326) Hiroshima Twinkiebar - Alex Baker
327) tom dick and barry - derek
328) tom dick and barry - colin allan
329) tom dick and barry - colin morrison
330) Carrick Cycles - Craig Macey-Lillie
331) Sgoil Monivaig - Neil Wright
332) 50 Shades of Red - Willie Napeir
333) 50 Shades of Red - Gary Smith
334) Rule 5 Obeyers - Stephen Duffy
335) NUKEPROOF - Alastair MacLennan
336) Neil - Neil Simpson
337) 2Guids - James Duguid
338) Breethinootmyass - Scott Maxwell
339) cyclophosphmaide 150 - saunders mackay
340) Ross-Shire Roads - Graham Calder
341) Mark Scott - Mark Scott
342) Inveroy Tattie Houker - Pele Munro
343) cyclehighlands.com/aboyne nomads - wayne blair
344) Pete Davis - Pete Davis
345) Torcastle Bed & Breakfast - Gavin Linfield
346) Proper bob swift - Jonny Baron
347) Proper bob swift - Jonathan Ridge
348) Team Fat Gypsy - Chris McCahill
349) Highlander sealed bike drive - Alan Burr
350) None - Paul Wass
351) 4th time mucky - David Allan
352) R we there Yeti - Jim Barron
Solo Vet Female353) Probably going home in an ambulance (again) - Dot Roberts
354) Bear Essentials - Marie-Louise Ridley
355) Black Canon Collective - Marjory Hatvany
356) Team Omega - Jo Brecknell
357) Team Fat Gypsy - Angela Lamb
358) Moray Minx - Roberta Walker
359) Hervelo - Jane Bryant
Solo Vet Mixed360) Alpine tour novices - Caro-lynne Ferris
Solo S Vet Male361) Team Barnsley Hospice - Ian Carey
362) Just Me - Trevor Weavers
363) And I said Never Again!! - Ken McLuckie
364) Ribble Valley CRC - David Kershaw
365) Dulnain Bridge Garage Ltd - Duncan Clark
366) Doug fae Dulnain - Douglas Anderson
367) Standard Life Cycle Club - Rick Harrison
368) JUST DO IT ATGNI - IAN BOOME
369) me - David Henderson
370) Hooligan Senior - Keith Jackson
371) Big D - Derek Potter
372) Live in hope! - john denny
373) One for the Zipper - Jonathan Morton
374) Sir Crampalots Faither - Jack Kinnaird
375) Team Dee - David Hirst
376) The Braes o' Fife Militia - Ken Murray
377) Hooligan - Mark Crane
378) DVATC - Stef Holland
379) Walkers Cycling - Steve Flindall
380) Highland Fencer - John Maitland
381) solo - Paul Whitaker
382) SSE - Chris Farrell
383) T.A.T.T - Rab Hill
384) wardhouse warrior - iain couttie
385) Yet another stroll in the Park - Kim Cameron
386) team oldyun - ross nathan
387) TheTorraTerrors - Kevin Mallin
388) Billy Nae Mates - Bill Turner
389) Billy No Mates - Dave whitcombe
390) CBW - Richard Stark
391) jmacdonald - John MacDonald
392) Must be mad - Neil Hardman
393) 50 Shades of Red - Andy Crawley
394) 50 Shades of Red - Chris Howe
395) hillsurfer - frank peet
396) Glencroft Rabble - John Shirley
397) Donnie - Donnie Meldrum
Solo S Vet Female398) Standard Life Cycle Club - Andrea Huttner
399) GoWhere - Jane Sargent
Read carefully: Non compliance with any of the Race Rules will result in
disqualification of the competitor from this event.
1. Approved cycle helmets must be worn at all times.
2. Road rules apply at all times, on all private or public roads during this event.
3. Riders must not ride more than two abreast on any Highway
4. Riders must ride in single file if impending vehicle traffic behind you.
5. Competitors must keep as far left as possible at all times, on all roads and tracks to
ensure sufficient and safe passing.
6. Competitors must not deviate from the obvious track or attempt to take shortcuts.
Drafting is permitted.
7. Any competitor withdrawing from the race must inform a Race Marshal at the first
possible opportunity after the decision to withdraw is made.
8. Competitors must know how to fix basic mechanical breakdowns (chain break and
repair flat tyres).
9. You are not permitted to alter or cut the event number plate in any way.
10. Event officials reserve the right to remove any competitor if they consider they are not
capable of safely completing the event.
11. Please do not leave any rubbish along the route. All food wrappers drink bottles, tubes
etc must be carried to the finish line and not discarded anywhere along the route
except at the Aid Stations.
12. Anyone seen discarding rubbish will be disqualified and will not receive a time or
position as applicable (take memories or photos but leave tyre marks only).
13. Participants must avoid stock if possible and all gates must be left as they are found.
14. No outside assistance is allowed by support crews to any competitor and no supporters
will be allowed to follow riders on the course.
15. Competitors must read the pre race course briefing notes supplied at registration.
16. Competitors must obey instructions from Marshals at all times. They are there for
everyone’s safety and enjoyment.
17. You are not allowed to swap bikes. You must finish on the bike you start on, unless you
have had a major breakdown and use a rescue bike from the tail end charlie vehicle.
18. To receive a position you must complete the entire course under you own steam.
19. Teams are not permitted to use any sort of towing device except for towing a team
member that has damaged their bike to the point that it cannot be self propelled.
20. For Team category all team members must cross the finish line together for the team
to qualify as having completed the challenge and for merit prizes if applicable.
21. The last team member across the line will be recorded as the team time.
22. Compulsory gear as per the list below must be carried or will result in disqualification.
23. Entries are not transferable. We need to know who is on the course and what medical
conditions you may have so we can deliver the appropriate response in the event of an
• 2 tubes or a puncture repair kit
• Tyre leavers
• Multi tool
• Chain breaker (learn how to use it please)
• Poly prop / Thermal layer top and bottoms
• Serious waterproof jacket
• First Aid kit (gauze squares, tape, an elastic crepe bandage, sunscreen, anti-chaff
cream, insect repellent).
• Whistle in case you go over a bank, break a leg and no one can see you.
• Survival blanket in case you are there for some time whistling.
• At least one water bottle and sufficient food to meet your individual energy needs
for 5-10 hours of riding.
NOTE: Please comply with the gear requirements. We take your personal safety seriously and
do not want to inconvenience you with gear and bike checks to ensure you have complied
with the race rules. Help us to help you.
Recommended Gear - For cold weather
•Poly prop / Thermal beanie
•Full finger gloves
To enjoy this event you need to be able to keep moving for about 5-10 hours. The fastest
time is expected to be around 4 Hours and up to 8 for those ones trying to get the most
value from their entry fee.
You don’t want to carry too much gear so consider carefully the clothing you need and your
The weather can change quickly from extremely hot to snowing in a matter of hours, so
study the weather forecasts and plan for the worst case scenario from that.
The water in the river crossings will also be drinkable
Food & Drink
Recommended for All Riders
Drink: There are numerous stream crossings that contain safe water.
Food: Please carry and consume enough to get you through the event.
Race start 10am.
For safety reasons we are unfortunately obliged to enforce a cut off times for this years event.
If you have not reached the top of the Mamore Descent by 1230 you will be short coursed along along the Landrover track to Mamore Lodge to continue with the event.
If you are not at the top of the Mamore Descent by 1330 you will told to return by the way you came.
If you haven’t reached the spean bridge end of the event by 1700 we will ask you to return with us in an event vehicle.
If you past these points before cut of time. We will wait for you to finish, so long as you are
making every effort to keep moving.
Route Markings / Hazards
There are numerous unmarked hazards on this course, as there should be with a wilderness
adventure of this nature. Potholes, rocks, stock, rutted tracks, steep descents, banks etc are
all part of what is required to be negotiated by the competitor.
Any hazards outside of those expected will be identified and marked accordingly to ensure
your safety. The Course Coordinator does not anticipate any such hazards requiring
The course will not be marked with directional arrows except at critical junctions. The tracks
do not lend themselves to taking the wrong path but where there is major deviation from the
track you are on, it will be marked accordingly.
Event Safety Information
When you are in this environment YOU are the person primarily responsible for your own
safety. We will try to limit the event infrastructure so that it will not be too noticeable during
this event so you can enjoy the course with minimal interference. Please do not drop litter.
You will be a long way from home so you need to ensure that you:
• Carry the compulsory gear as per the race rules
• Ensure you have a well maintained bike
• Have trained sufficiently to ride the distance and stay focused on the hazards and your
own needs for food and water.
• Ensure you complete, on the entry form, any specific medical condition you have that
may affect your well being and or treatment.
• If you come across an accident, you must stop and give all reasonable care that you
can, while sending someone forward (not back) to the nearest Marshal for help. The
• Marshal will call in the situation to the Event Safety Manager so that we can get expert
help on the scene as soon as possible.
• We will have first aid trained Marshals situated throughout the course, in the tail-end-
Charlie vehicle and at the finish line.
Cancellation / Refunds
Cancellation and course alteration
In case of event cancellation visit our web site. www.nofussevents.co.uk
The alternate event day is the Sunday following the official race day.
An alternate course may be put in place by the Course Director in case of extreme weather
and this will involve a to and from course. The entry fee is non refundable, in ceratin circumsatnces we will be happy to transfer the